Monday, February 16, 2009

Haiku'ing It Up

There's some great stuff over at The Common Man's blog. With this being Valentine's Day weekend and all, The Common Man took it upon himself to write some "poems of affection" to the sport of baseball. And, with all the bad press lately, whether it's A-Rod or Tejada or Robbie Alomar, it certainly can't hurt to remind ourselves why we enjoy this game so much.

It seemed like a good idea, so I thought I'd take a quick stab at it. I can't say I put in quite the effort as The Common Man, though. He actually spent the time to write in different poetic styles, and he's a much better man than I am for doing so. I, instead, threw together a few quick haikus that kind of show where I am regarding this upcoming baseball season - I'm just ready for it to start already.
"Dreaming since year's end.
Spring training's finally here.
Time to play some ball!"
or, how about:
"There's no more excuse
to say 'Just wait til next year!'
That's right: next year's here."
One more?:
"Visions of summer
arrive when I hear "Pitchers
and catchers report."

Warm sun; soft, wet grass.
Bats crack, fans roar, beer pours. Don't
forget the hot dogs!

The warmth permeates.
It can't get here fast enough -
It's still so damn cold!"
Now let's see what everyone else has...

1 comment:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Oh, I love the Braves,
but how they have sucked lately.
Yet, I am a slave.


Baseball is awesome.
Baseball is the greatest sport.
Everything else sucks.